The Center for hyperhidrosis at Columbia University was established in the early 1990s, and has been a leader in the field hyperhidrosis treating thousands of patients over the years. Our commitment to this disorder is evident in our team approach to hyperhidrosis. We ensure that patients are fully assessed to exclude secondary causes of hyperhidrosis, and have access to all possible medical therapies. We strongly believe that all medical therapies should be tried, before considering surgical approaches.
Dr. Lyall Gorenstein
Board-certified Thoracic surgeon and Director of the Center for Hyperhidrosis at Columbia University Medical Center. Dr. Gorenstein is an assistant professor of surgery at Columbia University Medical Center, and is the Director of Minimally Invasive Thoracic surgery. Dr. Gorenstein performs many complex video-assisted thoracic procedures aside from ETS. Being an experienced thoracic surgeon is advantageous when performing ETS, especially if unusual anatomy or adhesions from prior surgery is encountered. Dr. Gorenstein has contributed significantly to the field of hyperhidrosis, by advocating for medical therapies prior to considering ETS, and for being one of the first to perform ETS–T3, rather than multilevel sympathectomy for hyperhidrosis. He also believes in performing ETS in select patients with severe blushing.
In 1983, Dr. Lyall Gorenstein received his MD degree from the University of Toronto Medical School. His general surgery residency was then completed at the University of Toronto, Department of surgery from 1983-1988. The years following included fellowships and fellowship training to further his knowledge, skill sets, and expertise. These fellowships are listed below.
- Lyall Gorenstein completed a fellowship at the Ontario Cancer Institute with a research focus in multi-drug resistance, from 1988-1989.
- Lyall Gorenstein then completed a fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas in Thoracic Surgery from 1989-1990.
- Finally, Dr. Lyall Gorenstein completed a fellowship at the University of Toronto, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery from 1990-1992.
In addition to his many years of experience and studies, Dr. Lyall Gorenstein is a member of numerous medical-based organizations and societies, including those listed below.
- Rockland County Medical Society
- Medical Society, State of New York
- New York State Thoracic Society
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- American College of Surgery (Fellow)
- Ontario Medical Association
- New York State Medical Society
- General Thoracic Surgery Club
- International Society of Sympathetic Surgery
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Canadian Medical Society
Not to mention, Dr. Lyall Gorenstein has and currently curves on a multitude of hospital committees including tumor boards, credentialing committees and intensive care committees, and is currently Surgical Director, Minimal Access Thoracic Surgery, Director, Columbia University Hyperhidrosis Center and the Annals of Thoracic Surgery Adhoc reviewer. Additionally, Dr. Lyall Gorenstein also holds the academic title of assistant professor of surgery at Columbia University Medical Center.
Dr. Lyall Gorenstein has received many honors over the years of his work, many of which can be found listed below.
- Hudson Valley Magazine Top Doctors 2006, 2008, 2009-2012
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors: New York Metro Area 2002-2019
- Castle Connolly NY Magazine Best Doctors 2014, 2017-2020
- Hudson Valley Top Doctors 2006-2012
- Bergen County Magazine Top Doctors 2018-2020
- Canadian Association of Pediatric Surgery, Residents Prize, 1985
- Chappel Prize in Clinical Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Gold Medal for the highest standing in surgery in fourth year, 1983
- I. Harris Undergraduate Award, 1982
- J. Collin O.B.E. Memorial Scholarship, Faculty of Medicine, Awarded for high academic standing in second and third year, 1981-1982
- PSI Foundation Summer Scholarship, 1981
- Anne Shepherd Memorial Scholarship, University of Toronto, University College Award for Academic Achievement, 1979
Dr. Lyall Gorenstein has also written many medical publications over the course of his work and studies. This includes book chapters in prestigious works such as the Surgical Oncology Clinician, Thoracic Surgical Clinics of North America the Annals of Thoracic Surgery, and the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery to name a few.
Dr. Lyall Gorenstein has been in practice for well over 30 years and continues to make a lasting impact on the medical community. Patients trust and depend on Dr. Lyall Gorenstein’s care and with recognitions, accolades, involvements, and educational experiences like his, it is easy to see why. Dr. Lyall Gorenstein follows the motto to “come to work with the same energy and excitement [he] had the first time [he] stepped into an operating room.” He furthers this idea with the personal push to “learn new techniques and treatments to better the lives of my patients.”
As the director of the Center of Hyperhidrosis, Dr. Lyall Gorenstein has dedicated himself to be at the forefront of diagnosis and treatment of hyperhidrosis. Learn more about these treatments and procedures with any of our resources or contact us today to see how Dr. Lyall Gorenstein can help you!
Dr. Marc Grossman
Professor of Clinical Dermatology at Columbia University Medical Center, directs the non-surgical approaches to hyperhidrosis. Dr. Grossman is board-certified in both dermatology and internal medicine, and has experience with all methods of non-surgical therapy for palmar hyperhidrosis.