Hyperhidrosis is a condition characterized by excessive sweating. While it may seem fairly straightforward, hyperhidrosis is actually a very complex condition and it is important to understand all of the hyperhidrosis facts that are available. Even if you do not personally face hyperhidrosis, it is important to have an understanding of all of the hyperhidrosis facts and implications that it can hold. That way, you can expand your knowledge of the condition and be more helpful and sensitive to those around you who may suffer from this condition. The Center for Hyperhidrosis has put together a list of 10 interesting facts about hyperhidrosis to help you better understand the condition and its complexities.
10 Interesting Facts about Hyperhidrosis
1. There are more people then you may think are affected by hyperhidrosis. In fact, 3% of the world’s population is estimated to have hyperhidrosis, and many of them live undiagnosed. That is why it is important to understand the signs, symptoms, and other hyperhidrosis facts. At the very least, it is likely that you know someone who faces this trying condition and your general understanding can be very beneficial for you both.
2. No age is off-limits for hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis can affect anyone, at any age. It can also begin at any age. This includes children and infants who can begin to experience the effects of hyperhidrosis at that young of an age. Additionally, just because you did not deal with hyperhidrosis as a child, does not mean that you may not deal with it later in life. Hyperhidrosis can emerge at any age and really at any time. That is just another reason why it is important to understand what hyperhidrosis is and how to best deal with it.
3. Hyperhidrosis is not characterized by constant excessive sweating, but rather, is an episodic condition. What this means is that when you are diagnosed with hyperhidrosis, you cannot and will not excessively sweat on a constant basis 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In actuality, you will have episodes of excessive sweating brought about by your condition.
4. You are more likely to have hyperhidrosis if someone else in your family also deals with this excessive sweating condition. Just like many other medical conditions and scenarios, family history plays a big role in hyperhidrosis. Essentially, there is a hereditary component to this condition, as it is often found to run in the family. If you or another loved one suffer from hyperhidrosis, there are most likely other family members that may also deal with the condition- and they may not even realize what it is yet!
5. Weather conditions have no effects on hyperhidrosis. That means that it doesn’t matter if you are outside on the hottest day in July or on the coldest day in January. Hyperhidrosis can affect anyone, at any time of the year, in any temperature range. Warm and cold weather alike, hyperhidrosis has no preference and sweating can, and will occur at any time.
6. Hyperhidrosis is unpredictable. There is no pattern to when you may have an episode of excessive sweating. As mentioned above, it is not a constant condition but actually consists of random episodes of excessive sweating. These times of excessive sweating will more than likely not follow any sort of pattern and the effects of hyperhidrosis, unfortunately, can rear their heads at any time.
7. The average person has 2-5 million sweat glands all over their body. Hyperhidrosis is overactivity of a large percentage of those sweat glands. Imagining 2-5 million sweat glands producing a normal amount of sweat can already sound daunting. Hyperhidrosis, on the other hand, consists of many of those 2-5 million sweat glands overproducing sweat. It sounds scary, and it can be! Hyperhidrosis can have a huge effect on the quality of life for a person, and with statistics and hyperhidrosis facts like this, it is easy to see why.
8. The effects of hyperhidrosis go far and beyond just excessive sweating. Hyperhidrosis can have huge life implications for people who suffer from the condition. It can affect what they feel comfortable wearing, what they feel comfortable doing, where they feel comfortable going, and their general self-confidence as a whole. That is why understanding these important and interesting facts about hyperhidrosis can be an important part of sympathizing and helping loved ones that face this condition. There is nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to hyperhidrosis, and it is important that anyone who suffers from the condition understands that.
9. Hyperhidrosis is not the same for everyone. In fact, it varies quite largely from person to person. For starters, there are two different types of hyperhidrosis, primary focal hyperhidrosis and secondary hyperhidrosis, which have entirely different causes and effects for each person. Hyperhidrosis also may occur in different regions of the body for different people. Overall, each case of hyperhidrosis is unique which is why it is important to take note of your personal sweating habits in order to make a plan of action that is best suited to your personal needs.
10. Hyperhidrosis is a treatable condition. Fortunately, hyperhidrosis is very treatable and no one knows how to do it better than the experts at the Center for Hyperhidrosis. We have numerous different treatment options so that you, and our specialists, can decide together what the best personal plan of action is for you. If you or someone you know suffers from hyperhidrosis, give us a call today to discuss all of the options that are easily and readily available for you!
Overall, it is important to understand the hyperhidrosis facts and pieces of information as much as possible. Whether you personally suffer from the condition or someone you know does, gaining a better understanding of hyperhidrosis can be beneficial for everyone. To learn more about hyperhidrosis or to learn how The Center of Hyperhidrosis can help you, give us a call or explore our other available resources today!